This project will establish a Pacific Island Country (PIC) network of national and regional databases for monitoring, evaluating, and analysing environmental information to support environmental planning, forecasting, and reporting requirements at all levels.
The goals of this project are to:
- Strengthen the legal, policy, and planning frameworks to support collection and sharing of environmental data
- Establish a network of national and regional databases for monitoring the state of the Pacific environment
- Strengthen Convention reporting, policy development, and monitoring and evaluation requirements on the state of the global, regional, and national environment
- Facilitate the use of environmental data for national planning and sustainable development.
- Generate data through the planning and impact assessment processes.
- Assist PICs with meeting legislated national reporting requirements including State of Environment (SoE) reporting.
- Establish capacity at the national and regional levels to manage a network of national and regional databases.
- Build institutional capacities of governments to share data, information and knowledge to enable streamlines reporting and informed decision-making.
Four main project components:
Design national and regional databases and network to facilitate monitoring the state of the Pacific’s environment.
Environmental data are efficiently and effectively used for environmental planning and reporting at all levels by strengthening national and regional legal, policy and planning frameworks.
Capacity development to support the technical facility.
Project monitoring and evaluation
The project objectives are to:
- Provide legal, policy, and planning frameworks to support data collection and sharing that are able to be adapted by PICs for national use.
- Establish functional monitoring databases for PICs and partner institutions. These databases will be networked, and users are largely dependent on them for their environmental monitoring and planning needs. Access to national and regional data is simplified through a web-based system (including pooling of information for regional and global reporting purposes through mechanisms such as UNEP Live and its National Reporting System).
- Provision of guidance on how data generated can be used for different purposes, such as national and regional SoE reporting, MEA reporting and environment and sustainable development policy and planning, including SDGs.
- Establish and strengthen capacity requirements to support the management and maintenance of national and regional databases.