Global Climate Change Alliance Plus Intra ACP - Pacific Adaptation to Climate Change and Resilience Building Project.
PACRES aims to ensure better regional and national adaptation and mitigation responses to climate change challenges faced by Pacific ACP countries.
PACRES has six Key Result Areas (KRAs)
KRA 1 Enhanced regional coordination in climate change and disaster resilience, climate change negotiations and implementing the Paris Agreement
KRA 2 Regional support to review and develop climate change policies and priorities
KRA 3 Scaling up pilot adaptation projects
KRA 4 Strengthening knowledge and sharing information to address climate change and build resilience
KRA 5 Capacity building, research and innovation
KRA 6 Strengthening private and public sector engagement and contribution to resilience building in the region.
(KRA descriptions simplified and summarised for ease of reference)
Regionally, PACRES is providing support to:
- strengthen regional coordination in climate change and disaster resilience through the multi-stakeholder Pacific Resilience Partnership for the effective implementation of the Framework for Resilient Development in the Pacific (FRDP) - an integrated approach to address climate change and disaster risk management;
- assist national governments in UNFCCC negotiations;
- strengthen existing climate change and disaster resilience networks;
- scale up Pacific professional resilience capacity, including through enhanced technical and vocational education and training qualifications;
- increase access to and reach of climate change and disaster resilience information;
- build the Pacific’s resilience to climate change by supporting postgraduate studies; and
- strengthen strategic engagement and dialogue with the private sector to deepen regional and public sector understanding of the role and contribution of the private sector with respect to climate change and disaster resilience.
In Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Timor-Leste and Vanuatu PACRES is scaled up pilot adaptation projects including ecosystem-based solutions. These are the five Pacific ACP countries not receiving similar support under the GCCA+ Scaling Up Pacific Adaptation (GCCA+ SUPA) Project
In other participating countries, PACRES is supporting:
- review or development of climate change and disaster resilience strategies and policies;
- further mainstreaming of climate change and disaster resilience; and
- national climate change information portals.