- Create Competent authorities or National Focal Points
- Put in force adequate National Legislation
- Comply with the procedural provisions
- Considering that one of the main provisions refers to the illegal traffic of hazardous wastes (art. 9) the COP1 has decided to develop, based on the Guidence Elements for Detection, Prevention and Control of illegal Traffic of Hazardous Wastes drawn under the Basel Convention, a resource to provide guidence to the Pacific Countries on the measures to undertake in relation to this issue: Guidance Elements for Detection, Prevention and Control of Illegal Traffic in Hazardous Wastes
- In behalf of the work of the Pacific Regional Centre for the Waigani and Basel Convention (PRC) a legislation model for the implementation of the international regime on hazardous wastes and pollution has been developed: Legislation for implementing the four Waste Conventions (Basel, Rotterdam, Stockholm, Waigani)
An explanation of the Convention procedural provision can be found: here.
Key documents for the implementation of the convention are:
Form for Confirmed Cases of Illegal Traffic
As the regional environmental organization for the Pacific and as the Secretariat of the Convention, SPREP is working in order to develop programmes: i) for reducing the production of hazardous wastes and foster their disposal in an environmental sound manner; ii) to manage and simplify the transboundary movement of hazardous wastes which cannot be disposed of in an environmentally sound manner in the countries which are located.
For more information about these activities and programmes: here.